A new year signifies a new start for many. So why not take the opportunity to change or improve your leadership style? To get you started we’ve got 5 tips for team leaders.
If you want to get the best from your team this year we’ve got
five seven great tips for team leaders. As you review this list think about your behaviour and how this affects the people around you.
A leader is defined by his followers.
Tips for Team Leaders
#1 Build the Right Environment for Your Team
- Let your values guide you; be an authentic leader
- Focus on your people and on the team’s purpose; don’t let distractions unsettle the team
- Make sure everyone knows what is important and what must be achieved; plan and set meaningful objectives
#2 Choose Your Team Wisely
- Pay very close attention to recruitment; appoint the best people available
- Match people’s skills to every task; play to people’s strengths
- Encourage and teamwork; build this into your team meetings
- Put your team plan into action and check progress
- Get the best from each team member; set expectations and manage performance
#3 Listen to Your Team
- Pay attention to how you are perceived;
- Walk in your team’s shoes; understand their experiences and difficulties
- Open your eyes to participation; delegate and empower more often
United we stand; divided we fall. – Aesop
#4 Aim High
- Put the customer at the heart of what you do
- Encourage your team to embrace new ways of working
- Help everyone through periods of change
#5 Share Successes
- Show the team how and why they make a difference
- Recognise and celebrate achievements
- Do right by those who do right; it’s not always the easiest path
All your strength is in union. All your danger is in discord. – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
New Year bonus tips for team leaders …
#6 Deal With Poor Performance
- Confront performance problems early
- Coach the team, especially those in the middle
- And don’t forget to credit your top performers
- Set a good example: walk the talk
- Establish guidelines and accountability
- And remember, everyone counts!
Have Your Say
What will you do different this year? What is the most important leadership lesson you’ve learned? Do you have any tips for team leaders? Please join the discussion.
Creative Commons image courtesy Mariano Beguerisse.