This post is about inspiring others. It is a brief lesson on leadership and vision.
How do you inspire people? How do you inspire others to buy into your vision?
Creating a vision for the future is relatively straightforward. Inspiring others to follow your vision is a challenge.
A leader shapes and shares a vision, which gives point to the work of others. – Charles Handy
Some leaders create a vision of the future yet fail to move people into action. They fail to articulate and communicate their vision. Few buy into the vision; fewer truly follow.
In contrast, some leaders have imagination and know where they are going. They inspire others and bring them on the journey.
How do they do this? Is it passion? Possibly. Is it position? Certainly not.
How do you inspire others? Here are 8 steps for inspiring others
- Care about those who work with you
- Share your vision often and with passion
- Share your successes and failures
- Tell stories—make your vision real
- Keep learning
- Challenge yourself and others
- Offer encouragement
- Be a good role model
Before you can inspire with emotion, you must be swamped with it yourself. Before you can move their tears, your own must flow. To convince them, you must yourself believe. – Winston Churchill
Inspiring others is about expression. To inspire others leaders must be
- Trusted – a vision that emphasises altruism, social responsibility and the inclusion of followers is likely to inspire followers. In contrast, a vision that focuses on the leader and self-interest is more likely to inspire only those with feelings of inferiority.
- Believable – people are motivated if they have purpose. The leader’s vision helps employees to see their purpose in the workplace. And the most effective vision is one that takes account of the interests of stakeholders.
- Passionate – Inspiring others isn’t easy. Inspiring others when you are passionate about the subject is easier. Your passion will inspire others if you express it! Expressive passion is contagious. It is believable. It is trusted.
Of course, if you want to inspire others to do something then it has to be a part of your life. You must lead by example!
And finally, make sure your vision is simple, relevant and clear.
Have Your Say
How do you inspire the people you lead? Do you have a socialised vision? Or is it all about you? Please join the discussion.
Image: Mark Brannan.